Monday, July 23, 2012

Chopped salad with feta, lime, and mint

Let me just start by saying that I am not a cook.  It's only recently that I'm just beginning to enjoy it.  I'm still in the phase of following recipes as closely as possible; if I don't have an ingredient, I'm likely to not make the dish at all because I'm terrified to improvise.  I'm a lucky girl because Tyler is an amazing cook and he loves doing it.  But these days he gets home too late to cook dinner on weeknights, which leaves me needing to fill our tummies.  Thank goodness Aven is a good eater and not too picky.  But there are a handful of recipes that I've been loving lately so I want to make sure I write them down so I can come back and find them and remind myself that indeed, sometimes, I can actually make yummy food.  Tonight I did good.  I made a chopped salad with feta, lime, and mint from Smitten Kitchen (an amazing food blog that my friend turned me on to).

3 cups crunchy veggies (I used carrots, cooked green beans, radishes, celery. I forgot to add my cucumber)
green onions
chopped mint
sunflower seeds
feta
black beans
quinoa

The dressing was a mix of lime juice, olive oil (next time I'll use grapeseed oil because I think our cheap olive oil tastes a little funky as a dressing base), salt, pepper, and a dash of chili powder.

It was easy and so deliciously fresh on such a hot summer evening.  I think I'll be making this one all summer long.




No comments:

Post a Comment